GUNDAM EVOLUTION

GUNDAM EVOLUTION

View Stats:
Falleax Sep 19, 2022 @ 6:54pm
So what the HECK is a Gundam anyway?
I've never read/watched Gundam but this game looks interesting so I'm gonna play it.
However I'd be interested in any neat tidbits about the story and lore anyone feels like providing. It may enhance my experience if I know what the robot I'm shooting at is known for.
The only thing I've learned through osmosis is that war is bad and Canada got blown up, I think.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
carver Sep 19, 2022 @ 7:00pm 
mechs in gundam are called mobile suits and a gundam is a mobile suit of a particularly high performance, they usually have prototype technology in them and are typically called gundams outright. look for the samurai crest and you're good to go
k-ricks Sep 19, 2022 @ 7:42pm 
yeah gundam is about war is bad people from space and so on want their independent from earth Gov and tyrant on both side use this to exploit on situation for their own gain and war broke out then space will unlock six sense and so on for main protagonist his gangs give them op ability depend on each gundam system to survive war or win the war with some cost on them

from its popular so they made side story to expand its story or explain detail for main story and about how normal soldier or people fight/live in it

then they run out of idea give a birth of another universe of gundam and another with the use of Turn A gundam to explain how it has new universe at some how
Last edited by k-ricks; Sep 19, 2022 @ 7:56pm
☣️Karnage Sep 19, 2022 @ 7:51pm 
In the original Gundam series, the Gundam is a highly advanced prototype mobile suit (mech) alongside the Guncannon and Guntank. The three were developed by the Earth Federation (global Earth government) to combat an invasion by the Principality of Zeon (space colonists). Each prototype would be used to create mass produced mobile suits such as the GM, which is based off of the Gundam.

After the war ended, the Gundam had made a name for itself, having been piloted by an ace pilot that played a pivotal role in defeating Zeon. The material used to create the prototypes (Luna Titanium) was renamed "Gundarium Alloy" in honor of the Gundam, and various future mobile suit models would be named "Gundam" for that very same reason.

A lot of Gundam media within the franchise actually takes place in different universes that share certain similarities between them, such as the invention of mechs. If you've ever watched a modern Marvel movie, it's basically like the marvel multiverse. "Gundam" takes on a different meaning and usage within these various universes.
Fenrah Sep 19, 2022 @ 8:32pm 
Gundam is a giant multimedia empire probably most akin to star trek.

The original is one of the most important building blocks of anime, period, even though when it first came out it bombed massively. Re-runs saved it and swapping from giant PVC 1970s toys to model kits cemented it as a long lasting franchise.

There's several timelines starting with the Universal Century. Cliff notes versions.

UC: the big one, the OG, the grand daddy. The primary conflict for basically the entire thing is the "Shut the ♥♥♥♥ up and pay your taxes" corrupt neo-liberal Earth Federation versus the "VE ARE ZE MASTER RACE" space nazi Principality of Zeon. How bad each side is tends to fluctuate between stories. The gundam is a big fancy prototype mobile suit that is faster and stronger than anything up to that point while also being armed with the equivalent of a main battleship. Very 1970s sci-fi.

FC (G Gundam): the first spin-off timeline. It's dragon ball Z with national stereotypes, there's literally a mexican bandito called the tequila gundam. Very goofy, very fun designs, not a whole lot to talk about story-wise, it's a tournament arc but with giant robots.

AC (Gundam Wing): The big crossover hit that is sort of retroactively embarrassing. A bunch of hunky boys in fancy robots fight a kinda tyrannical but vaguely defined earth federation stand-in. It's mostly remembered for being the one that actually first hit the english speaking world and has a lot of nostalgia attached to it outside of Japan. Doesn't get that much love in broader crossovers because it came out during a particularly bad era for model kits. Mostly remembered for Deathscythe, who has a giant beam scythe and Heavyarms, who has a gatling gun for an arm.

AW (Gundam X): Basically "what if UC gundam but everything went wrong?" Vaguely post-apocalyptic and mostly notable for being the first gundam series since the original to get cancelled mid-run. Honestly not THAT bad but not a popular series.

CC (Turn A Gundam): A very contested series. The original creator comes back after a five year absence and decides to make a very weird show. A lot of the mechanical design was initially done by Syd Mead, who did the mechanical design for stuff like bladerunner and Aliens so the mecha look REALLY different than the norm. Also the art style is kinda ghibli-light. May or may not be the end point for all continuities up to this point. Nano-machines, son. Mixes weird early 1900s stuff with wacky super-future designs. Very love it or hate it.

CE (Gundam SEED): Original gundam for hip, cool early 2000s people and their flip-phones. EXTREMELY popular in Japan, still usually second on the popularity ranking next to UC. Notorious for having SO many gundams. A bad guy shows up? It's a coin flip if it's gonna be a gundam. Kinda bad but it has its fans. The first spin-off timeline to get more than one show. The sequel is generally much, much less respected.

AD (Gundam 00): Gundam Wing but generally a lot better. Extremely meme-worthy. The second series to be moderately successful in the west. A bunch of hunky boys pilot fancy robots for a shadowy plan involving 'preparing the world' for future events. Solid 8 out of 10 setting.

AG (Gundam AGE): Probably the most universally agreed upon BAD show. Mostly a platform for selling a video game that wasn't very good. Doesn't show up often in crossovers and if it does, it's as DLC.

RC (Reconguista in G): Tomino returns. Another very odd entry. Post-post apocalypse, lots of edgy backstory. Supposedly 500 years after turn A according to Tomino, but he is notorious for just saying ♥♥♥♥ to mess with fans.

PD (Iron blooded orphans): The EDGIEST gundam series. Robot war happened, humanity built gundams that directly link into the pilot's nervous system, humanity barely squeaks out a win and maybe shouldn't have. Mars sucks, Earth sucks at least as bad, everyone is terrible, Hashmal did nothing wrong.

There's a new one coming out but we don't know where that's going beyond GUNDAM CANCER. The prologue episode was very good.

Also it's not Canada that they blow up, it's Australia, they keep doing it. Canada gets blown up in Macross.
Falleax Sep 19, 2022 @ 8:46pm 
Wow that's a lot of info, I wasn't expecting this much, thank you all.
Maybe I'll get around to watching some of it if I like the game enough.
Davien Sep 19, 2022 @ 10:24pm 
Start with Gundam Wing, then Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny. End with Mobile Suit Gundam 00. They are the best in my books. The rest up to you on which to watch.
Last edited by Davien; Sep 19, 2022 @ 10:25pm
Billy Sep 19, 2022 @ 10:30pm 
its elden ring in space
Xiro Sep 19, 2022 @ 10:33pm 
Space Opera is the primary genre of most Gundam series. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.
k-ricks Sep 19, 2022 @ 10:57pm 
star with 0080 with civilian level
to 0083 with novice Kou
then 08 Ms team with Vet Shiro or Ms Igloo with all their bonker Vets
and now you will entering the beginning of space wizard Gundam the Origin and so on
Ectior Sep 19, 2022 @ 11:10pm 
There are summary movies for the UC or original timeline that you can use to get a good overview if you have 4-5 hours to burn. However I maintain the best way to see the story is to grab a friend who's down to get stupid and put on the actual series from 1979. It's great to mock since it's from 79 and had no budget but it's also just fun to have going and will give you a great understanding of both the series and the mindset of the community.

Namely how fun kind of nuts the older fans are.

Char's counter attack is after the og series btw so save that till after.
The Shockmaster Sep 19, 2022 @ 11:11pm 
Don't trust anyone from Space.
Ectior Sep 19, 2022 @ 11:13pm 
Originally posted by The Shockmaster:
Don't trust anyone from Space.
True
Noobslayer Sep 19, 2022 @ 11:13pm 
Why would you say that? Char has never betrayed anyone.
Asakura Shinichi Sep 19, 2022 @ 11:40pm 
Originally posted by Steiner Scout Mech:
Gundam is a giant multimedia empire probably most akin to star trek.
A lot of info but you missed the Gundam Build spin offs where they build plastic Gundam models(Gunpla) and by using a special alien technology animate them in special spheres and fight in tournaments. Actually liked those quite a lot, not war driven and serious or edgy but more on the sports side with frienships/rivalry and competition. Also its more family friendly so its perfect to use to bring Gundams to younger audiences. Also its probably the best way to see normally impossible battles of Gundams and Mobile Suits for different eras.
Last edited by Asakura Shinichi; Sep 19, 2022 @ 11:43pm
MechaDeka Sep 19, 2022 @ 11:46pm 
Originally posted by k-ricks:
star with 0080 with civilian level
to 0083 with novice Kou
then 08 Ms team with Vet Shiro or Ms Igloo with all their bonker Vets
and now you will entering the beginning of space wizard Gundam the Origin and so on
>OVAnoids
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Sep 19, 2022 @ 6:54pm