Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox slow to switch tabs...

Options
  • 04-04-2008 10:23am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lately I have noticed firefox is being really slow when I'm switching between tabs. Especially if one or more of the tabs has video on it, like youtube etc.

I have 3GB Ram - I expected more. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Update your media plugins. May fix it. Flash player for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Run it with all addons disabled. See if that fixes.
    If it does then re-enable a few addons at a time to see if you can find what's slowing you down.

If you reckon it's Firefox itself then you could wait 2 months or so for the noticeably faster Firefox 3.0. Or get a pre-release version now, http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Try cleaning out your internet cache

Firefox > Tools > Clear private data > Tick Cache > Clear private data now

Or use CCleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what version are you on? If not yet move over to Firefox 3 beta 5 as its noticably faster in loading pages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

While back I had the same problem and I cleared my cache like was said above, sorted me right out.

Also, you could set you browser to delete cache each time you close it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I found that Firefox 2 needs to be closed down a re-started every so often.
    It starts to use up huge amounts of memory - and the swapping pages/tabs
    slows right down.

I've been trying FF3 Beta and this issue looks to be solved.

S.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers, are there any drawbacks of FF3? Are the issues with extensions and compatibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Zascar, Installed Safari for Windows yesterday and its the fastest and best browser I have come across in a long time. Give it a try before aiming for Firefox beta...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Zascar wrote: »
    Cheers, are there any drawbacks of FF3? Are the issues with extensions and compatibility?
    See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neville13

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Run it with all addons disabled. See if that fixes.
    If it does then re-enable a few addons at a time to see if you can find what's slowing you down.
    ======================
    worked for me, and the culprit was Zone Alarm Forcefield Toolbar :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement