IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fagraea Berteriana “Puakenikeni”

SVENCINITAS

Anyone grow these successful outdoors in Southern California?

Type: Shrubs, Trees, Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Height: 15-20 ft. (4.7-6 m)
USDA ZONE 10, 11, Full Sun, Sun to Partial Shade

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

Edited by SVENCINITAS
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:58 PM, SVENCINITAS said:

Anyone grow these successful outdoors in Southern California?

Type: Shrubs, Trees, Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Height: 15-20 ft. (4.7-6 m)
USDA ZONE 10, 11, Full Sun, Sun to Partial Shade

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

Very cool looking and fragrant flowers so looks worthy of trying Billy.  It appears there are several in the greenhouse so experimenting with one wouldn't be as great a risk.  That said, I would probably wait until next Spring to transition one from a greenhouse.  Overnight lows just started dipping this last week here in Leucadia.   Welcome to the forum too.  What part of town are you in?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I have one of these (the "giant" form according to Tom Piergrossi, from whom I acquired it), I planted it this spring in a south-facing, well-drained position under some protective canopy, and it made it through the hellish July we had here protected to a decent extent by a patio umbrella, I can tell there is a tendency toward yellowing/scorch on the broad, glossy leaves under intense sunlight/heat...but that can be mitigated somewhat. The question is how it will make it through winter. 

Fagraea is an odd genus to my mind, it is sort of succulent, though it also looks sort of "wet climate luxurious" but it does very well in dry areas around Honolulu where many people grow it for its "ten cent flowers" for leis, so I think it does favor the drier situations. But I tried this once or twice in the Florida Keys and could not keep it going there in dry shade, and I think Irma finally did it in. It really is not sold at all in Florida (though I'm sure Marie Nock sells it from time to time), the one that is found with slight regularity is F. ceilanica (at least it is a species usually sold under that name), it is somewhat similar but with a rippling surface along the leaf-margins, and grows pretty well in South Florida/Keys. 

Here in the Palm Springs area, I tried one of the 'small'/'dwarf' form of F. berteroana (again this is how Tom Piergrossi classifies them in his catalogue when he has them on offer) and stupidly planted it in the open in what turned out to be a path of cold air drainage that dropped temps right around freezing at ground level, and lost it along with about ten other various young plants just establishing there during the long winter this last year, with seemingly constant chill. Tom Piergrossi mentions on his website that he was never able to get this species to establish in SoCal during his years here (I believe he was located in Vista at that time).

I persist in trying with this species because when I was living in Honolulu thirty-plus years ago I was introduced to these flowers by locals who told me its history...and all you have to do is smell one of those leis and you will want to figure out how to have one in your landscape. I think south-facing, well-drained/sloping, rocky/sandy with some humus, and with a 'shelf' of light tree-canopy directly above it, and you will stand the greatest chance. At least that's how I'm now approaching it, with fingers well-crossed. You will want to do a careful acclimation in warmish dappled shade from the humid environment of the greenhouse out into the open. It doesn't need any humidity at all to survive (as I say, it did quite well for me this summer here in the low desert), but there likely will be a transition needed. As you probably know, they are slow-growing plants, so it may be a "process" to convert the crown to a mass of tougher foliage. Best of luck to you, those are very nice, large specimens you have there to try in Encinitas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

All very helpful information Michael, much appreicated.

Similar experience, was introduced to them living in Kauai, years later here in Encinitas I started trying to grow them.  Bought a few initially from Aloha Tropical about 10 years ago, had success flowering both indoors under a halogen as well in a controlled environment (greenhouse).  

The 40+ you see in the pick were shipped out in Feb. 2020, now 5 years later they're all +3 ft tall.  I have plenty of attempts to find the right drainage/shade/area on my property - just wanted to hear if there was any success stories out there yet :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SVENCINITAS said:

All very helpful information Michael, much appreicated.

Similar experience, was introduced to them living in Kauai, years later here in Encinitas I started trying to grow them.  Bought a few initially from Aloha Tropical about 10 years ago, had success flowering both indoors under a halogen as well in a controlled environment (greenhouse).  

The 40+ you see in the pick were shipped out in Feb. 2020, now 5 years later they're all +3 ft tall.  I have plenty of attempts to find the right drainage/shade/area on my property - just wanted to hear if there was any success stories out there yet :)

Amazing to me that you have 40+ of these...that must be an incredible olfactory experience when they bloom for you. Do you remember where they were being grown on Kaua'i...Lihu'e, Po'ipu, Princeville, or perhaps inland from the coast? I would think that would help guide you in the heat/sun/shade calcs. One thing I should emphasize based on my failure last winter, I wouldn't recommend letting them spend the winter in cold shade, as on the north/northeast side of a house/structure. I think they will just give it up because they seem to hate continuous shady chill. If you're near the coast in Encinitas I would put it right up against your house with a southwestern exposure if possible, just under a bit of canopy above, mainly for cold protection.

Please keep all of us posted on your success. Even though it's not a slam-dunk in SoCal, it is a plant very much worth trialing to discover its peculiar demands. Just a shame it's not much known (and available) in the lower 48 because an army of testers in various locations might be able to more quickly "crack the code."

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)