Firefox for Andriod on XOOM

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Just installed it -- I like it so far but can't find where you can change browser from MOBILE to DESKTOP -- Anyone else using/find this?

timmyboy188

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Some web pages will let you switch to desktop, others won't. It's weird, I can't use Craigslist correctly with the browser, but with Firefox I can. I don't like the choppy graphics on the FF browser though, needs some work to flow better with the Xoom it seems...

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
FireFox also does not support Flash, only HTML5. According to the developer they may work on a Plug-in for Flash in the future, but mostly they just try to convince you that you don't rwaly need Flash.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
The new version of Firefox Mobile for Android that was released today is MUCH faster than the previous version of Firefox. I'm going to have to start using it more to compare to the stock browser, because I do love the Add Ons available for Firefox Mobile ...

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Opera Mini and Opera Mobile are both out now as well optimized for tablets. There is nothing faster than Opera Mini if you don't need Flash. and if you do need flash - Opera Mobile works great.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Just installed it -- I like it so far but can't find where you can change browser from MOBILE to DESKTOP -- Anyone else using/find this?

Goto options, click addon tab, install phony. Afterwards, you can fake UA in the options.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The new version of Firefox Mobile for Android that was released today is MUCH faster than the previous version of Firefox. I'm going to have to start using it more to compare to the stock browser, because I do love the Add Ons available for Firefox Mobile ...

Exactly. The real strength of Firefox has long been it's extensive collection of add-ons. There are only a limited number available, as of yet, for the mobile version, but the number will certainly be growing.

I had tried the earlier version on my Droid X, but it worked rather poorly, so I opted for the Dolphin HD browser instead. On the smaller screen, it offered the advantage that the bookmarks were easily accessible (as a list) with a simple left-to-right gesture, and the toolbar with a right-to-left gesture. Dolphin also has a small set of add-ons, including the ability to save webpages as PDF's (it also is the only browser with the native ability to save an html page direct to the device. It also works reasonably well on my Xoom.

But, in the long run, I've favored Firefox on my PC's primarily for the ability to install add-ons which allow me to choose the functionalities that are most useful to me. And, this is where, as the mobile version matures, Firefox will continue to have a distinct advantage.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I like it for its sync add on......I have all my bookmarks from my laptop.......Only thing i hate is Image quality through FF is horrid compared to stock browser......anyone else notice this?

zedata

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe there is a way to fix the images in the about:config page but beyond that it works well on the Xoom. I've been tinkering with it for the past 30min trying to find a way to get better image quality and no, changing browser type does not help (does help with page layout though). Hopefully they fix that soon.

xzigraz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The FF for Android is for smartphones right? I don't think it is optimized for Tablet yet. I agree, the collection of extensions is the most attractive thing from FF for mobile.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The FF for Android is for smartphones right? I don't think it is optimized for Tablet yet. I agree, the collection of extensions is the most attractive thing from FF for mobile.

i don't know if they will ever optimize it for a tablet, Im not even sure what constitute a tablet-optimization. Its UI is quite minimalistic right now, and I like that.

I like it for its sync add on......I have all my bookmarks from my laptop.......Only thing i hate is Image quality through FF is horrid compared to stock browser......anyone else notice this?

they give up on implementing smooth zooming of images for this version. So there is not much you can do about it for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT1981