Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyz8bpnw

Have experience in distinguishing between Hydrangea aspera varieties?

garyz8bpnw
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

In viewing photos on the internet and plants at nurseries there seems to be some mislabeling out there between the different larger wider leaved varieties, such as H aspera 'Sargentiana', 'Rocklon', 'Robusta', 'Macrophylla', 'Sam McDonald' claimed to be the largest to 14'), etc. Really confusing matters there appear to be hybrids between 'Sargentiana' and 'Macrophylla' or other similar sized varieties! As far as I can tell some possibly become labeled 'Sargentiana', because everyone wants this giant variety.

I purchased this aspera as H. aspera 'Macrophylla', which is about 8' tall here (on right side is H. macrophylla 'Mathilda Gutges' on acid soil w Aluminum Sulphate addition).

This next AMAZING leggy giant in our last yard was 12' x 12' and purchased as H. aspera 'Sargentiana'.

Can others post their aspera photos, especially the large leaf varieties for comparison?

This giant has large thin soft fussy pliable leaves roughly 12" long. The leaves easily move and bend, so the dramatic looking leaf coat often appears to quiver a little with the slightest breeze, and leaves shake wildly, but do not tear (in our sheltered location), in the wind.

A bonus is that there is 2-3' (or more) between branches on each trunk, so it gets tall fast while it also fills in from new base stems. The new base stem sprouts and slight weeping habit keep flowers displayed from near ground level clear to the top.

Both our aspera 'Macrophylla' and 'Sargentiana' were in shady bright open locations, getting less than 2 hr direct mid morning summer sun daily. With a little more sun I felt they would get even more flowers (they need abundant moisture and will scorch if they get too much sun). I placed grass and yard clippings around the base to fertilze and mulch.

We had a H. aspera 'Villosum' next to the "Sargentiana" that definitely wanted a little more sun ... was leaning towards it strongly (leaves smaller and narrower than the othet aspera).

If you have a large bright open shady spot to fill, fill it economically with an Aspera, mulched for moisture retention.

They have long lasting lacecap flowers and its stunning theatrical character that will draw a lot comments from envious viewers. They are easy to grow, have few pests, and require little care.

Comments (4)

• garyz8bpnw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We have a H. aspera 'Plum Passion' too. The leaves are nicely colored. The flowers weren't much the first year. But now in a 5' size plant they are getting quite respectable, which I didn't expect. They slso can go through a neat transition white to pink, then pink to red and bending over (likes shady area but I suspect needs sufficient light to flower or color well).

Last photo taken this summer of a larger mega-container grown plant at Furney's in the SeaTac, WA area on northside of greenhouse with no overhead shade.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

The taxonomy of this species is rather confused :-) Lacking any better documentation, I tend to go with Dirr and with the good but abbreviated species data from Heritage Hydrangeas.

Villosa, robusta and sargentiana are not cultivars but subspecies. 'Rocklon' and 'Sam McDonald' are classified under the villosa group; 'Macrophylla' under the sargentiana group. There is no cultivar 'Villosum' and many growers will list the subspecies incorrectly as a cultivar name, further confusing the issue. In Dirr's opinion, robusta offered larger foliage than sargentiana.

You may not get much feedback on your request for photos. This is a seriously less hardy species of hydrangea and is not often found outside the UK or the PNW. I grew both villosa and sargentiana in my old Shoreline garden but to be honest never noticed or paid much attention to the leaf size (BIG and fuzzy) or differences in inflorescense (both widely lacecap and variable in flower color). This species is not affected in coloring by soil pH or AL availability. And they all get to be quite large shrubs in preferred growing conditions - some selections of aspera currently growing at Heronswood are a good 15' tall and close to that in width.

garyz8bpnw thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Embothrium
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You can cut these down low in winter and start them over to get a smaller, denser looking crown. It seems at least two horticultural hydrangea print monographs have been published in later years, I would study those when trying to sort hydrangeas out. Also with any wild species found in China I would look at the eFloras Flora of China web pages for taxonomic information including dichotomous keys.

Using the R.H.S. awards system as a basis Hydrangea aspera 'Macrophylla' and H. aspera (Villosa Group*) 'Velvet and Lace' are currently considered a couple of the better H. aspera in Britain. The latter is a newer name coined to distinguish material that had been sold there for years by Hillier Nurseries as H. villosa. I have no idea if this form is also present on the market over here, or if any of the stock here is being differentiated as 'Velvet and Lace'**.

H. aspera subsp. sargentiana is apt to become bare inside and clumsy looking if the planting site is not perfect for it.

Places in this region where you can see and study labeled H. aspera forms include U.B.C. Botanical Garden and

Van Dusen Botanical Garden

http://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/cgi-bin/nph-readbtree.pl/dataset=vandpub/filename=names55?ETI=Hydrangea+aspera

both in Vancouver, Herons-wood in Kingston (currently under the direction of the same D. Hinkley who supplied Monrovia with what became H. aspera Plum Passion), and the

Washington Park Arboretum

http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/gardens/BGBase.php?txtSearch=hydrangea+aspera&submitedits=&_submit_check=1

in Seattle.

Also if you are interested there is a row of the H. aspera Plum Passion along the east wall of the Edmonds Library.

*Group is a term used to indicate when more than one cultivar is grown under the same name. When this name is also Latin, as in Villosa Group it also shows that such plants are garden forms and not botanical entities occurring in nature. In this particular instance for example it was eventually decided H. villosa Rehder should instead be referred to as H. aspera Villosa Group.

**One thing that discerning shoppers may have to watch for is vendors mistakenly concluding that all H. aspera Villosa Group are to now be referred to as 'Velvet and Lace', resulting in other, lesser versions being offered under the name

garyz8bpnw thanked Embothrium
  • ophoenix
    7 years ago

I agree that there
    is a lot of confusion as to the various names in this group of Hydrangeas. Most
    of my plants came from either Herronswood or directly from Dan Hinkley at
    sales, usually the Northwest Hort. Society sales, or at meetings. The mountain
    asperas are easy to identify by the large fuzzy leaves and lace caps and unique exfoliating bark - as shown in one of the photos. Here are some photos from my garden in Shoreline, WA. I am not sure of the exact names of these - the tags have been lost but will try to identify exact names when they bloom again. The asperas are all late bloomers and each year I fear they have died and then the leaves break followed by the flower buds and show no real color until late July and stay beautiful right up to frost. While they don't knock your socks off - their tall stature and quiet beauty add to the late summer and fall garden.

Plum Passion backlit by the sun shows the fantastic red color. I was planted
    at the top of the hill just for this reason. Gets quite of bit of sun - but does not
    seem to mind.

Plum Passion in bloom

Plum Passion is a bee magnet! The bush is alive all summer. I can almost
    touch them with the camera and they don't mind me at all. Too busy to care.

Aspera Chinese Big Leaf?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!