Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdlandscapemanagement

Caesar's Brother Iris

3 years ago

Iris sibirica Caesar's Brother blooming right on cue the last week of May. Sturdy, reliable and beautiful in bloom, I've had these in place for about 15 years as part of my front landscape.

Comments (13)

• 3 years ago

Yep --- nothing like that rich royal purple, it is glorious. Mine are showing buds now, the show should start shortly!

KD Landscape thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • 3 years ago

Great Caesar's Ghost! Those are lovely! I've not been able to get any purple ones to "take" in my yard. I have white siberians and have planted purples twice to no avail.

KD Landscape thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • 3 years ago

Caesar's Brother has thick foliage that makes a dense clump impervious to weeds. I have other modern sibes with larger flowers but they don't clump up like CB.

KD Landscape thanked cecily 7A
  • 3 years ago

is he also little.. or have his own Za joint???

ken

KD Landscape thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • PRO
    3 years ago

@popmama. Great Caesar's Ghost indeed. Glad you liked the photos!

alright @Ken. You got me! Normally, I catch your humor, but this one flew by me. I even looked up Za joint on the urban dictionary. :)

• 3 years ago

took me a while too, K&D, but I finally got Ken's reference. Think "Little Caesars" pizza. Some people just say 'za for pizza.

KD Landscape thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • PRO
    3 years ago

@popmama thank you, thank you! and now I have one less thing to ponder. :)

• 3 years ago

isnt Little Ceasar pizza national??? .. i grew up in metro detroit.. home of everything little ceasars .. they own the red wing.. the tigers ... they are ubiquitous

i gotta be older than you.. how do you not know Za .. lol ... its a shortening of pizza for drunk college students .. you know.. who cant handle the second syllable of a word ..... like bro ... lol

but i digress .. the iris were gorgeous pix ... great sunshine pic.. with the deep purple flowers ...

ken

weird.. its the first link here : https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffcm&q=Za&ia=web

ps: also.. in detroit.. we drink pop.. not soda ... lol

KD Landscape thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 3 years ago

I grew up between New Haven and New York. Little Caesar's is the LAST place you go for pizza lol. If they are even around here?? Gotta say the "za" thing is new to me as well. Thanks for clearing that up! I thought Ken made a typo lol... Gorgeous iris, btw!

:)
    Dee

KD Landscape thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@ken_adrian, diggerdee, et. al I love how this has digressed from Caesar's Brother Iris to Za joint & pop versus soda.

Now that I'm up to speed let me first say that in Chicago we also drink pop, not soda.

Secondly, for the discriminating palette it's Lou Malnati's every time https://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/Lou_Malnatis_Pizza although I'm sure someone from New York might want to weigh in with an alternative :)

Lastly, as we leave the pop & pizza forum, here's an unidentified Iris photo from a customers yard taken this morning. Nothing to show scale on the bloom size but about 1/3 the size of Caesar's brother and much paler than the photo might indicate. The plant itself is 24-30" and customer advises it's been in her garden for forty-plus years.

Any thoughts? @ Gardengal? @NHBabs?

• 3 years ago

papillon perhaps

KD Landscape thanked cecily 7A
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There's a zillion different lighter blue Siberian iris cultivars.....coming up with a specific one is tricky :-) Compare to 'Flight of Butterflies'. But 'Papillon' is a possibility as well.

Looks like there may be a second type in the right background. Or maybe it's just the light.........

KD Landscape thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)