Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Jude The Obscure, and Pinkerbelle

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (AUSren) shrub rose bred by David C. H. Austin (UK, 1988). The 3-inch double, cupped, old-fashion bloom have mild fragrance. This is a blooming fool. The plant is still small in my garden, and it blooms its head off. I like this rose. Helen

Comments (34)

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Oh Helen!!! - your CRM blooms are so romantic...and they're blooming champs!! I want to touch them all!!!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked rosecanadian
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Pinkerbelle (MEIvanae) hybrid tea rose bred by Meilland International (France, before 2018) and introduced in the US (2019). The cream with stippled pink cuplike blooms are uniquely beautiful and have strong spicy verbena fragrance and up to 34 petals. To get the best stippled look, give this rose only morning sun. Put this rose in too much sun and you only have common cream blooms with dark pink edges. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rosecanadian Thank you Carol. He is a sweet heart 🌿 💕 🌿. Helen

• Nola z5aWI
    3 years ago

Gorgeous roses Helen! I have Jude and love the color of her, her scent is wonderful. She quietly whispers "I'm here" when she blooms and then bowls you over. So glad to see your pictures of CRM, it's such a lovely rose! Pinkerbell has such character, just like Tinkerbell! I'd love to see more of your garden and roses, it's such a treat!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Nola z5aWI
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Helen your roses are even more stunning due to your wonderful photography skills

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Beautiful roses and photography Helen!

I have all three of these roses so I'm familiar with them. My CRM is a bit more lavender; Jude is about the same but may have more of a yellow/gold undertone; I agree with you about Pinkerbelle and the amount of sun exposure. I wanted to move mine this past winter to a morning sun location but couldn't get it done but will definitely do so this winter. How tall has your Pinkerbelle gotten? Mine was taller in the original pot it came in - 3ft but it's been very short since I planted it in the ground - only about 2ft. I must not be feeding it correctly but it blooms constantly.

Ann

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Nola z5aWI(5) Thank you. I thought Jude is a "guy", lol. Completely agree with you.

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Thank you Kristine for the kind words.

@Ann9BNCalif I think we have similar rose taste, lol. I love Pinkerbelle and the way we have to grow her so that she can show her best. Mine is still in a 5-gallon pot and about 3ft H. Helen

• Nola z5aWI
    3 years ago

Haha, yes Jude is a guy, I have seen the movie even so you'd think I'd remember that! :)

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Nola z5aWI
  • lynne CA Zone 9B
    3 years ago

Love your Judy! How old is it and how do you support it?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked lynne CA Zone 9B
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lynne CA Zone 9B Thank you. It’s 3 yrs old grafted on Dr Huey. It is rested against the fence right now. Helen

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

They are so beautiful!! I love them all!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@joeywyomingzone4 Thank you Joey. Helen

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    3 years ago

Just gorgeous, Helen! My Jude currently has one bud on it, lol.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Helen - Your JtO is a blooming fool!!! And the close up pics are mmmmmm :) I lost my Pinkerbelle (brand new bareroot last year) over winter in the GGDO. I really miss it. Oh, GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Pinkerbelle pics are unbelievable!!! I NEED to get this one again!!!! I remember that it had a lot of buds and blooms. I'll put mine in part shade to get that beautiful stippling! oh SWOON!

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@cyndita (west coast zone 9) LOL. We always treasure the first blooms. Is it a new? Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rosecanadian Jude will happy to hear that, lol. Sorry about your Pinkerbelle. I agree that you should try to grow it again. It’s just too uniquely gorgeous not to try it again. Helen

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    3 years ago

Thank you, Helen! Very impressive! Mine is more than three year and just planted in ground this and it starts to take off.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked lynne CA Zone 9B
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    3 years ago

@bayarea_girl_z10a_ca Helen - it's actually 3 years old! It just doesn't bloom well for me - I think it needs to be moved to a sunnier spot (it gets morning sun, but is in shade from about 2:00 pm on). In the meantime, I will just enjoy your photos!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Helen - for sure!! I wonder if it was Palatine that had it? I hope I can find it again. :)

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lynne CA Zone 9B I have similar roses in the ground and in a pot, and the one in the ground is always more happy and grows faster. Unfortunately, I have a small garden so any new roses I get will have to go in pots.

@cyndita (west coast zone 9) I agree with moving it to a sunnier spot. Having enough sun is the most important thing for a rose in my garden.

@rosecanadian Pinkerbelle is a new rose but not rare so you can find it at most rose nurseries. Even big box stores carry it. Helen

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Not here they don't. LOL I really rely on Palatine and Hortico. There's a new place that delivers bareroots via mail. So maybe I can find it. :)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Helen or Ann ,

is Jude a good bloomer for you ? It’s one I always wanted to try. I smelled it once so many years ago and hated it . And I keep wondering if I smelled it wrong and would love to try again . But if it’s only a spring bloomer here in California, I will pass . Thank you for advice !

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca Jude is a good bloomer for me. However, the blooms don't last long in a vase. I think since you have a small garden and didn't like its fragrance the first time, it's OK to skip it and try it when you have a bigger garden. Helen

3 years ago

Thank you Helen . Can you overnight me a bloom ? Haha just kidding .

Ugh I should actually ask on my Neighborhood app if anyone grows it so I can see in person.

I have never ever seen it in person except once when I had it in Pa! I ordered it from chamblees when their roses were under 10.00 . We moved shortly after ( story of my life! Hehe )

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca Here is “digitally overnight“ for you 🌿😂🌿 Helen

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Helen, I'm particularly impressed with the blooms of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. I like their structure, and obviously, he is a bloom machine judging from their number. The Jude blooms just above are luscious. One looks a little pinker than the bloom in the background. I've never been wildly impressed with Jude's scent, but lots of people think it's the best.

Lily, another thing is Jude can grow huge, so if space is an issue, you might consider that, too. Diane

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Diane Brakefield
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

I really love Jude. Each bloom is an adventure! Love looking at all the curves and angles of the blooms and inside the cups.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

None of these Comments or photos is helpign Me not want this rose!! Haha

spring Fever is in full force here !

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Geeze from the pictures of Jude I would want it too. Not really a negative advertisement looking at that color and all of those blooms.

Helen, your pictures are a million times better of Pinkerbell than any of the stock photos that I have ever seen.

Maybe you should moonlight as a catalogue photographer.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw Thank you Kristine. You are super kind :) Helen

3 years ago

I was thinking, a lot of my roses shut down in the summer heat anyway . So if it does well in the spring and maybe some fall or winter I think I’m ok with that !

My Anne Boleyn only bloomed in the spring for me , nothing since , and she’s still there . Lol

Well here I go again , ordering roses I don’t need ! - not sorry

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca In California it’s all about the amount of water you give your roses. For most roses in my garden if I continue to give them plenty of water, they continue to bloom in summer. However if the roses get less water in summer, they are smart enough to use the small amount of water they have to survive instead of blooming. Helen