Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Sa-Sm daylilies 2024

sherrygirl zone5 N il
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

We are finishing up the week with the first half of the daylilies Sa-Sm.

I’m only listing two of my handful of Siloam daylilies…Ethel Smith and Peony Display, my favorites.

Siloam Ethel Smith

Siloam Peony Display

Scandinavia is new to the garden, I admired Mantis photos.

Schnickel Fritz has had good increase in a short time here.

Sailor Sky, can’t say enough good things about this late bloomer!

Sea Dragon is an eye catcher in the garden and like most, lower bud count last season.

Silky Skies is the only Lambertson I have tried that did well here.

Smurfette struggled last season, hoping for a better performance this season.

Simplicity in Motion did not bloom last season, this photo is from 2022. I really hope it shows up this summer.

Savannah Debutante had first few blooms last season. It looks promising, tall with good sized blooms.

Sherry

Comments (21)

• lilykate7a
    3 months ago

I hope I can keep my alphabet right! Silky Skies is always so pretty!

Simplicity in Motion

Slipped My Disco-performance has been less than stellar

Shadow Walker

Shores of Time

One of my favorite Siloams. Siloam David Kirchoff

Skater

Shuffle the Deck

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • Brad KY 6b
    3 months ago

Sailor Skies and Shuffle the Deck are very pretty!!!

Siloam Amazing Grace

Scarlett Pimpernel

Sears Tower

Smoky Mt. Autumn looking very different in these two photos:

Smiling Ladies

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • shive
    3 months ago

Sherry - I always love your Sea Dragon and Silky Skies! I hope I will correctly alphabetize to the second letter. I have trouble with breaking the S's in half.

Kate - That clump shot of Simplicity in Motion gives me a happy feeling! My Shadow Walker and Slipped My Disco did not bloom last year.

Sam Abell usually performs well here, but last year it had low bud count.

Sensational Heart was one of the stars of the garden last year. It had taller than registered scapes and bud counts in the mid to high teens. It also rebloomed on two fans. I think it did well because I watered it regularly in the preceding drought year. It also set many pods last summer.

Here's a clump shot of Sensational Heart. This is only its third year here, and you can see how well it's multiplied.

Serrated Sentinel was another garden star from last season. It's planted right next to Sensational Heart. It had tall scapes, bud counts in the 20s and also rebloomed. It's another fast multiplier.

Here's the clump shot of Serrated Sentinel, another one in its third year.

$exy Samantha had a subpar year. This one never fails to set a pod and has given me many wonderful seedlings.

Siloam Double Classic is the only Siloam I still grow.

The majority of my S daylilies come in the Sm- category, so that will be the longer post.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • daylilybedmaker
    3 months ago

I will have to post my pictures later tonight. I have always liked SEAL OF APPROVAL, but it left my garden because the bud count was in the single digits and it was not a vigorous grower like its parent RAINING VIOLETS. I like SILOAM ETHEL SMITH and I love SILOAM AMAZING GRACE. I am surprised that I have never grown that one. I love the color of SENSATIONAL HEART. Not sure how it would survive my winters.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • lilykate7a
    3 months ago

Brad, I have Siloam Amazing Grace as well. It has not bloomed well the past two years. It needs dividing. It is lovely when it blooms.

Debra, Sam Abell was subpar here. I am not sure I even took a photo last season. As these posts progress I am actually wondering what DID bloom last season!!

Sensational Hearts is wonderful in color. Love the clump!!

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 months ago

Sky High Butterfly is a beautiful fairly early bloomer.

Small Wonder is a small diploid.

Smooth Kentucky Bourbon

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • daylilybedmaker
    3 months ago

Here are my contributions to this part of the alphabet:

SKYHOOKS: An older Hanson which grows well for me. It is tall and a real standout when there are multiple blooms open.

SMALL WORLD TNT: If find that it is a good morning plant. By Noon, it starts to brown.

SKINNY DIPPER: This can be an unruley bloom. The petals rool back more than in this picture. I took this in the morning as I wanted to capture the green in the throat. It was a bonus plant. I think it is starting to grow on me.

SHOWTIME MAGIC: This is a Bennett intro which consistently reblooms for me.

SALTY SKIPPER: Another Bennett into. Puts on a nice show.

SCREAMCICLE: First year blooming for me as it was acquired in the fall of 2022.

SEARS TOWER: Not as tall as in years past.

SABER TOOTH: Too new to really evaluate.

SHERRY LANE CARR: An oldie but a goodie

SCOTT FOX: I love the fine serated white edge.

SILOAM MELVIN'S YELLOW: This is a larger Siloam introduction. Early season yellow which stands out in the garden.

SAM ABELL: Not reaching its registered height just yet.

SMALL WORLD BRIAN

SITTING COOL: One of my all time favorite Bennett intros.

That is all from me.

David

• shive
    3 months ago

Nan - I like the contrasting colors of School Bus, and Sihir always catches my eye.

David - Siloam Melvin's Yellow is a pretty thing, and that clump of Salty Skipper is impressive.

Kate - So much did not bloom last season. I had a list of 59 registered daylilies that didn't bloom at all, and about 10 seedlings.

Debra

• jrb451
    3 months ago

Saharan Dust

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked jrb451
  • mantis__oh
    3 months ago

JRB, is your pic Heron Cove Saharan Dust?

Serrated Sentinel is out of Larry's Twilight bite. Grossman often does not keep detailed track of parentage (or at least puts down "sdl. x sdl."

Sensational Heart is widely available at fairly modest prices, so it must be generally a good grower. I just am very wary of later evergreen Salters (most of the early ones were even labeled as "semi").

Screamcicle has not attained height here. May take after parent Primal Scream. Sam A also not the height I saw it at Ashwood. I like the huge yellow throat in Skyhooks.

Scandinavia seems widely recognized as a superior cultivar. (Sometimes the market gets it right.) It has great branching and bud count. May lean a bit if a lot of flowers open. Recently divided and a victim of thrips last year in the estate garden. Here it is in an earlier year:

Good pic of Sears Tower--I like that the flowers are not so upfacing. Smoky Mountain Autumn pic shows richness. Scarlet Pimpernel is very dark. So far, modest bud count.

Sihir and See Me Feel Me I was glad to see again. Simplicity in Motion has not done a lot here, but is in a bad location. (Born not too far from here.)

Small World Fire in the Hole is a very vivid bloom. Early blooming, it has the trait of opening early, which invites earwigs. Hence, moved to estate, which has no earwigs.

Sips of Sin --intense and dark; we shall see.

She's Like a Rainbow --good height and larger flower than parent Crintonic Candy Store

Sarah Christine Very pleasing shade of yellow on this very large flower.

Sitting Cool. Very nice. Market is too obsessed with patterns to recognize this beauty.

Shabby Chic --around 5 inches. Fairly short here.

Sandhill Shine was nice last year, but still young.

Shadow Cabinet looked good last year, but hasn't multiplied a lot.

Silver Ice (Munson).

Subpar year for newly divided Salty Skipper

Sinister Variations (Hanson)

Smoke Scream (from 2022). A tree branch fell on this area this year.

Santa's Little Helper --rich shade of red on this smaller flower

Seventy Times Seven --Pic from 2022, as it was recently divided. Good year to have been divided, since so many were subpar anyway.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • jrb451
    3 months ago

@mantis-OH, Yes, Heron Cove is our garden name.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked jrb451
  • daylilybedmaker
    3 months ago

MANTIS - Lovely picture of SITTING COOL. I agree that it is beautiful. SHE'S LIKE A RAINBOW is on my list to add to the garden.

David

• mantis__oh
    3 months ago

Sherry, I don't think you will be disappointed in Savannah Debutante. Tall and vigorous. Later blooming.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 months ago

So many Siloams that still make the grade in my book. Sherry: Your picture of S. Ethel Smith is so sweet. Love it..... Kate: S. David Kirchoff is pretty. I think I grew that long ago. I like that color range...... Brad: S. Amazing Grace is always nice to see along with one of my favorites of yours Smokey Mountain Autumn.....Debra: Classic picture of S. Double Classic. Sensational Heart is very striking. Salter is one of my absolute favorite hybridizers. Too bad they usually aren't hardy enough to last long with my pot culture....Nan: Sea of Cinders is one I always like to see you post. Love the oranges.......David: Siloam Melvin's yellow is another good looking Henry. Also I really enjoyed seeing your picture of Showtime Magic on the database. Nice shot .....Mantis: Sips of Sin was a first year plant here last year and didn't bloom. It's looking iffy in it's pot outside after the arctic blast we had this year. Fortunately I have a small division of it in the garage. So like you we will see. Santa's Little Helper will always be remembered by me with affection. It was the first red daylily I grew that I actually liked the shade of red. It's as close as daylilies get to true rose red (which in my opinion is the hallmark for that color). Hard to capture on camera but you did an excellent job................Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Mantis, it’s good to hear Savannah Debutante is a good performer for you…looking forward to seeing what it does here this season.

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    3 months ago

Sitting Cool is so pretty. I am glad you posted Sarah Christine and Scandinavia -I thought I took photos of those last season but could not find them. I do like Sarah Christine. Thanks for sharing it with me.

• mantis__oh
    3 months ago

For what it's worth, a contact from northern Ohio said that Sensational Heart grows well for him, but he is not enamored of it as a red. One person; one opinion. SH seems to be a more pinkish red.

• shive
    3 months ago

Mantis - Sensational Heart is registered as a rose red. The color varies a lot based on temperature. I prefer pinkish reds to orangey reds. Everyone has preferences. Sensational Heart does fade A LOT in the heat - more than my other reds. I would only recommend it for hybridizing purposes because of that. Of course, if it got afternoon shade, that would not be as much of an issue.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    3 months ago

Shelby's Song --out of Morning Mood

Sleepy Hollow (older Hanson)

• shive
    3 months ago

I forgot to post to this one as I always misremember its name. I think it's Blue Sky Blues when really it's Sky Blue Skies.

Sky Blue Skies - I notice it's gone from two fans to four over the winter. It was new last year.

Debra

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting