• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second season of Mushishi (best anime ever) announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
ncRCZQy.jpg

A second season of Mushishi, Mushishi: Zoku-Sho (Sequel Chapter), was announced during a special stream after the TV special which just aired. The original season of Mushishi aired 2005-2006, following Mushi master Ginko as he travels Japan dealing with supernatural creatures called Mushi and the problems they cause for humans. The core staff and cast will be returning from the original season and the just-aired special, including director Hiroshi Nagahama and character designer and chief animation director Yoshihiko Umakoshi.

Mushishi: Zoku-Sho will cover the remaining 24 unadapted chapters of the manga. It will be split-cour, the first 12 episodes airing from April to June and the remaining 12 episodes airing from October through December.

http://www.mushishi-anime.com/
Anime News Network

Dennis

Banned
I haven't seen the first season.

I guess I will wait to see the response to this thread before deciding if chasing down Season 1 is worth it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, pretty surprising. I had no idea about the tv special.
Really excited to see this.

Clov

I was surprised enough that it even was getting a TV special, but an entire second season? I never expected that at all! I seriously can't wait for this.

Jacob

I was not expecting this. I love Mushishi. Although it took a while to grow on me, it's now one of my all-time favorites. Fingers crossed that this lives up to the original! Assuming it stays as episodic I'd think it's easier to keep the quality up.

Holy freaking shit, this is amazing news!

I'm seriously over the moon about this, I adore Mushishi - it's one series I've watched over and over and never seem to tire of, which is down to the great atmosphere and direction I suppose. Damn, can't wait for these new episodes.

ЯAW

Banned
Still need to watch first season :b I have been making excuses not to watch the show ever since it was released. It seems interesting but for some reason I have been putting it off up till this day. Gotta have to change that asap.

Ninjimbo

Mushishi's first season is so perfect that it's hard to imagine a second season reaching that kind of quality. But Nagahama is helming and Aku No Hana proved he still has the chops to pull off something incredible. I'm crossing my fingers and legs for it to be just as good. Mushishi is an all-time favorite for me.

flawfuls

YESSSSSSSS. I just found out about the special yesterday and was exited enough for that. OMG 24 episodes. Please be as good as the first season.

Oh wow, what? I honestly thought it was over. The show neither had a true beginning or end so I thought it had just finished with the last episode.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm in awe - it seems surreal that this is actually happening.

Guess it will finally be time to re-watch the whole series!

wonzo

Banned
Getting a new OVA was one thing but a whole new season adapting the rest of the manga?!

bow.gif
NAGAHAMA
bow2.gif

bow.gif
ARTLAND
bow2.gif

Gameboy415

Awesome!!
I watched the original series on Netflix a year or so ago and was blown away by how great it was.

Hopefully we'll get a proper Blu-Ray release of both seasons eventually too (in the US).

Cwarrior

Mushishi is awesome, one of my favorites, this news is too good to be true :D

With hxh,ippo back and now this, it feels like anime is gearing up for it's final swan song.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I got the first season from a very kinda GAFfer in the Secret Santa thread. I'm seven episodes in and it's a very good series, I'm down.

JDSN

Banned
I had no idea people considered this as a good series, I thought it was boring and the people where kinda dicks. But then again considering the particular time in my life that I watched it maybe I was the dick. Ill look for the dvds.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm so happy. Some of my favorite animes are currently running full swing. Soon to be including this one. YES.

Was wondering what else I was going to watch with Space Dandy in 2014. More Mushishi hadn't crossed my mind, but that's awesome news. Loved the first season. Now someone start making more Kino's Journey.

Have you seen Flowers of Evil [Aku no Hana] yet? It is, again, nothing like his other work outside of being top quality and maybe a little bit metal.

Actually, haven just watched the Mushishi special (which is, of course, excellent), I'd say Nagahama's directing style for Mushishi and Flowers of Evil is fairly similar, even if the subjects they cover are different. They both are deliberately paced; lots of lingering shots, particularly on lush backgrounds; a fair amount of silence with moody, minimal music reserved for specific effective moments; naturalistic voice acting, etc. Atmosphere is the name of the game in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom