Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I'm sick and tired of these corpo's and gutter gangs doing crimes in my goddamn moon dome, and I for one am going to do something about it, like make a post on a videogame forum.

G-Police is an arcadey combat flight sim developed and produced by Psygnosis on PC and PS1 in late 1997. It is set in the future (2097) in a series of cyberpunk dome cities complete with giant buildings and flying cars on one of Jupiter's moons. You play an ex-military pilot named Jeff Slater who recently joined the G-Police (Government Police) to try and solve his sisters mysterious death who was also a member of the G-Police. You do missions ranging from scanning vehicles looking for illegal smuggling to taking out crazed gang members in tanks or dog fighting off warring mega corps and their hired goons.

You pilot a vtol Havoc Gunship through linear levels and also with side objectives armed with all kinds of weapons from machine guns to different kinds of missiles and bombs, you'll get different kinds of weapon upgrades as you progress the story like homing rockets or cluster bombs.
GP.jpg

The sequel G-Police Weapons of Justice released in 1999 for only PS1 is a direct sequel that takes place directly after the events of the first game still playing as Jeff Slater with his Havoc Gunship, but now they added missions that introduce 2 ground vehicles the Raptor a bipedal mech and the Rhino an armored wheeled vehicle that looks like the apc from Aliens except they slapped a rocket launcher on top. They did however remove the cgi cutscenes the first game had between missions and replaced them with in game cutscenes, the vo is just as good as the first game though, and story is great.

Raptor
ss17.jpg

Rhino
maxresdefault.jpg

Awesome commercial by Peter Chung the creator of Aeon Flux.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSUX3qGcWS4

Late 90's Psygnosis so you know it's got a banging electronic soundtrack.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP9VDQYwxpY&t=563s

Same with the sequel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7KqqhzK12g&t=693s

Sony please throw me a bone here and put the original up on Gog and both PS1 games on the PS store, I have money with your name on it if you can give me G-Police, G-Police 2 and Colony Wars games.
tafp1nn.gif
frbO08n.gif

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Played the hell out of this on PS1 along with Colony Wars as a kid and while I was terrible at it thanks for reminding me it existed because it owned.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's 2022, I played both and yet I still reliably mistake G-Police for Future Cop: LAPD every time the former comes up.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
There was a car mission in GPolice 1 wasnt there? Maybe it was just in training or a bonus mission or something.

edit:
found it. I think I only unlocked one of the secret ones
www.youtube.com

G-Police - PS1 - All Secret Missions - All Objectives

All secret missions with all primary and secondary objectives completed. Some of them are driving missions in a cop car. These are mostly unlocked by finishi...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTB4uGxbTVc
the car was a beast. i'd pick fights with craft flying over me.

Last edited:

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Hell yes sign me the fuck up.

I never played beyond a few quick goes back in the day but I loved the piloting and the sci-fi setting. I'm still tolerant of PS1-era games so I may just actually play these since there's never been anything really similar for some reason.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Psygnosis was the shit in the PS1 days. They designed the game with as many triangles as possible to avoid the usual texture/geometry warping of the Playstation hardware and were going for a "CGI" look in-game, I'd say they succeeded.

Didn't love the sequel as much, increased in fidelity led to shorter draw distances and a weird deliberate "drawing in" effect where the wireframe was filled in. It was naf.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
G-Police and Future Cop: LAPD are two games that stick in my mind because I played the demos over and over and over as a kid, but never played the full game. In both cases I think they just gave enough of a map to fly around that I didn't even need the full game to keep me interested. That said, all future cops are bad.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I have very fond memories of G-Police. I had bought it on PC to show off with my 3dfx Voodoo card. The 3D accelerated PC version had video billboards just like in Blade Runner. I would move my PC out to the living room and hook up to my TV via composite video, and play with a Gravis gamepad. The game was hard as heck for me, because of the vertical and horizontal controls. But that PC version was beautiful, though.

And OP, you are right. The soundtrack was a banger. The music and SFX are credited to a person named Pug, but I can't seem to find who this is and what else they worked on. Were they an in-house person for Psygnosis?

View: https://youtu.be/8YUGRHaidPc?t=722

I just remember listening to the opening music on loop. So good.

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I have very fond memories of G-Police. I had bought it on PC to show off with my 3dfx Voodoo card. The 3D accelerated PC version had video billboards just like in Blade Runner. I would move my PC out to the living room and hook up to my TV via composite video, and play with a Gravis gamepad. The game was hard as heck for me, because of the vertical and horizontal controls. But that PC version was beautiful, though.

And OP, you are right. The soundtrack was a banger. The music and SFX are credited to a person named Pug, but I can't seem to find who this is and what else they worked on. Were they an in-house person for Psygnosis?

View: https://youtu.be/8YUGRHaidPc?t=722

I just remember listening to the opening music on loop. So good.

Huh, I don't actually know if the people that did the music were in house or not. I kinda want to look into them to see what other stuff they've done.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this game looked absolutely insane on PC at the time. I played the demo but never bought the game.

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I remember this game looked absolutely insane on PC at the time. I played the demo but never bought the game.

It was a looker for sure. By setting that low view distance, it allowed them to fill the screen with all kinds of ai vehicles and weapon/explosion effects while also having a high frame rate, even the PS1 game runs at like 40-60 fps at all times with no dips. Although the PS1 view distance is like half almost half that of the PC game and textures are a little darker muddier with a lower resolution.